Friday, July 6, 2012

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

I realize it's not Wednesday, but because Wednesday was a holiday (Happy Independence Day!) and Friday's post isn't up yet, and I just finished the book this morning (it was a long book!) I thought I would post my review today.

I am in love with this book.  (I know, I saw that just about every time I review a book...I guess I only review books that I like!)  But this one has a special place in my heart and I'm not sure exactly why.  It could be because Cornelia Funke has created a wonderful world of interesting characters and places.  It really could, because she has done an amazing job of making her characters lifelike and engaging. It could be because who hasn't ever become lost in a book and wanted more than anything for that book to come alive - to live in the story.  I've read many stories over the years that I've longed to get lost in!  But I think it's actually her writing, as much as the story, that I'm in love with.  Her words roll around like a piece of the sweetest chocolate dissolving slowly on my tongue.  They are mesmerizing.



I love this quote from Meggie's father, Mo.  "If you take a book with you on a journey, an odd thing happens: The book begins collecting your memories.  And forever after  you have only to open that book to be back where you first read it.  It will all come into your mind with the very first words: the sights you saw in the place, what it smelled like, the ice cream you ate while you were reading it...yes, books are like flypaper - memories cling to the printed page better than anything else."  Or this one, "Every book should begin with attractive endpapers.  Preferably in a dark color: dark red or dark blue, depending on the binding.  When you open the book it's like going to the theater.  First you see the curtain.  Then it's pulled aside and the show begins."  I love Mo!  And I love the way he loves his books.

There are so many, many things that I love about this book.  But you will just have to read it and experience the magic for yourselves!

(The suggested ages for this book are 4th-7th grade and it's a long one...534 wonderful pages!)


3 comments:

Misty Moncur said...

Hmmm. I've seen these at the library and passed them over a bunch of times. Guess I'll have to take a second look.

Misty Moncur said...

I listened to the first one, Inkheart. You're right, the words are pretty, but I think the story had a lot of holes in it. But I have a really hard time understanding fantasy type stuff. Thanks for the recommendation!

Rosenbalm Photography said...

I've already added this one. Sounds great and just up my alley! :)