Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Host by Stephenie Meyer



On the inside front cover:
"Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.
When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human; the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. but there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect; the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves- Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love."

I picked this up not knowing what it was about. Didn't even read the inside flap. The beginning was very confusing and I thought about setting it aside but was too curious and kept on. I found that the beginning is supposed to be confusing. lol I really enjoyed the story and even have my twelve year old reading it.

One thing I love about this book is the lack of profanity and inappropriate sexual content. You can get a great story line without adding the ick.

I really did like this story but I am not sure what to share from the book without giving anything away. Everything is perfectly intertwined. The characters are endearing and the description of the settings is just enough. I don't like it when an author goes on and on about the setting instead of just telling the story.

The medicines of these invaders is pretty amazing. Just heals you right up and takes any scar away. Wouldn't that be nice! :) Each person that has been taken over still goes on with their normal life, with the same emotions and knowledge. You wouldn't know who is human and who is not unless you shine a light into their eyes and see brightly reflected light. Such a great imagination!

I give this book four stars.


5 comments:

S (Book Purring) said...

I find Meyer's work pretty clean when it comes to sexuality/profanity it's something not a lot of people notice so I'm glad you did :)

Yep, I could use some of that No Pain medicine hahah :P

Misty Moncur said...

K cuz I didn't get interested and set it aside. I'd say maybe I'll go back and give it a try, but...I probably won't. :)
Thanks for the review.

Rosenbalm Photography said...

I'd love to get the scar remover! :)
It really is so interesting, I would say pick it up again. :)

Jillian said...

This is my very favorite of Meyer. It took 100 pages to get into it, but I was so hooked once I did. I've read it a few times now, and I suggest reading it at least twice so you can really enjoy the first part.
LOVED the romance and the ending was awesome. Meyer is supposed to be working on more in this series but I've a feeling she's burned out. Thanks for the review.

Rosenbalm Photography said...

Really? I had no idea she was making it a series! I would SO love to read more about these characters! :)