Saturday, January 28, 2012

Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson



Part of the inside front cover:
"Before Green Gables is the story of Anne Shirley's early life, and the journey that led her to Prince Edward Island- a heartwarming tale of a precocious child whose lively imagination and relentless spirit help her overcome difficult circumstances; and of a young girl's ability to love, learn, and above all, dream."

I have always loved the Anne of Green Gables movie series. I haven't yet read the books but after reading the prequel to the series I am motivated to get the books out. I want to have the details that movies sometimes leave out.

Of course, we know that Anne Shirley had a rough childhood before coming to Prince Edward Island. Before Green Gables lets us in on what actually went on. This book is not written by the Anne of Green Gables author, Lucy Maud Montgomery, but is very similar in style.

I really enjoyed this book, getting to know Anne better. There were times I was annoyed by her imagination but I am sure that is because I am older and most adults would be annoyed by such innocence at times. There are adults in her life that help her to see that not everyone is angry or mean before she comes to the Cuthbert's home.

In Before Green Gables it lets you in on how Anne came to have such a vast vocabulary. It is pretty fun to read of her yearning for knowledge. She so often had a great outlook on life, how could I complain about mine?

I give Before Green Gables four stars.


2 comments:

Jillian said...

It's been a while since I read all of the Green Gables series. They get a bit redundant if you read one right after the other, but this sounds like fun. It wasn't all doom and gloom, was it?

Thanks for the review.

Rosenbalm Photography said...

No. I read a couple of reviews and the main complaint was that it wasn't true to the real Anne. I guess it has been long enough since I've seen the movies so I could enjoy the read. I wasn't worried about it being completely accurate. It was just fun.