Saturday, March 31, 2012

Life As We Knew It by Susan Pfeffer



On the back cover:

"When Miranda first hears the warnings that a meteor is headed on a collision path with the moon, they just sound lie an excuse for extra homework assignments. But her disbelief turns to fear in a split second as the entire world witnesses a lunar impact that knocks the moon closer in orbit, catastrophically altering the earth's climate.

Everything else in Miranda's life fades away as supermarkets run out of food, gas goes up to more than ten dollars a gallon, and school is closed indefinitely.
But what Miranda and her family don't realize is that the worst is yet to come.

Told in Miranda's diary entries, this is a heart pounding account of her struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all - hope - in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar time."

"In 2007 it was named as one of the Best Books For Young Adults by the American Library Association and placed seventh in the Teens' Top Ten vote, also run by the ALA. In addition, Life As We Knew It was a finalist for the Andre Norton Award, the Quill Awards and the Hal Clement Award." Wikipedia

Jennifer's Review:

While reading this book I kept thinking that it was really happening, telling me how well written it is. A wonderful story line to remind us of how fragile our lives really are. How in an instant things can change drastically and how we need to be prepared. I'm grateful the prophets have all warned us to have food storage and 72-hour kits.

The book is Miranda's diary starting out with complaining about little things like not being able to ice skate and will she be able to compete in swimming. Things that are huge to her... until the meteor that is exciting to everyone on earth turns into danger and the unknown.

Miranda and her family try desperately to just stay alive while others around them are dying from starvation, freezing temperatures in the late summer, and the flu.

I was near the beginning of the book when my 10-year old wanted me to read aloud. After reading one page she said, "Mom, that is scary." I didn't read any more to her. It got much scarier so I would cation all parents about age limits on this book. I want to have my 7th grader read it but am not sure even she is ready. I believe the recommended age is 9th grade.

We cannot live in fear but we can sure try to be ready for disaster. (That is what I keep telling myself so I am not afraid.)

I give Life As We Knew It four stars.


3 comments:

Jillian said...

Thanks for this review. Not something I would probably read, but it's always good to have those reminders that things could change in an instant and we need to be prepared for it.

Susan said...

I loved this book. You're right—it's written in a way that makes it feel like it's happening right here, right now. It totally made me want to buy out Costco so I could make it through the apocalypse! The whole series is frightening, but it makes for good, edge-of-your-seat reading.

I've never seen the cover you posted and I really don't like it. Doesn't fit the book at all!

Rosenbalm Photography said...

It is the cover that was on my book. I agree, it doesn't fit. I didn't realize this was a series! I'll have to look into that...maybe. Not sure I could sit through another end of the world!