Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Carnival Crime by Donald J. Sobol

I have always loved Encyclopedia Brown.  Ever since I was young, I've been fascinated by the short 5-page-long stories that tested my wit and powers of observation.  Back then I was always fascinated by the solution to the mystery...I rarely came up with it on my own.  (Even now as an adult I don't always get it!)

I read the latest Encyclopedia Brown book, Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Carnival Crime, this week and I loved it every bit as much as I did when I was nine years old!  I had no idea that Donald J. Sobol had written so many of the Encyclopedia Brown books...nearly thirty!  And they have never been out of print since they were first published in 1963.

I read the first mystery in the book with my nine year old daughter.  She loved trying to figure out who did it and laughed delightedly when she read the answer in the back of the book.  This book was a fun journey back to my childhood and I loved reading about Encyclopedia as much now as I did then!   4 stars!

1 comment:

Misty Moncur said...

Never out of print? Wow. That says quite a bit about a book. Would Zach like these do you think? I have no idea what that kid likes.