Friday, September 16, 2011

"Sign of Seven" trilogy by Nora Roberts

I don't quite know what to review tonight. I'm not sure I listened to anything uplifting or inspirational this week. I finished "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown, but since I reviewed "The Da Vinci Code" last week, I am thinking to not review this one. They're basically the same anyway. Good, but about the same review. The only other thing I've finished this week is the first two books in the Sign of Seven trilogy by Nora Roberts. I guess that will have to do. To start off with, I am not a huge Nora Roberts fan, but this trilogy looked a little different from previous things of hers I've read, and the first one was available to check out, so I decided to give it a try. It is definitely different.
The story is about 3 best friends, Caleb, Fox and Gage, who were all born the same day, July 7th. For their tenth birthday they decide they're going to have a campout in the woods at the Pagan Stone, which, of course, is forbidden. Being ten year old boys, they decide they want to become blood brothers and perform a ritual at the stone, but it doesn't go quite how they expect it to. They've unleashed evil that brings mayhem and havoc for seven days then goes away, only to come back every seven years and do it all again for another seven days starting on their birthday. 21 years later they're gearing up for another round with help from three women who end up in town, and vow it will be the last time evil reigns in their little town.
I liked the characters, especially the girls. I loved the "lifestyle change" because I could totally relate to that. If only I had Quinn's will power. *sigh* The boys were funny and believable. The story, however, was not very believable. If I'm going to read about supernatural powers, I want to think that it could really happen. This just didn't give me that feeling.
Did I like these books? Yeah. I want to see how it ends in the third one, so I'm hooked enough for at least that. Were they great? Not particularly, but a TON better than anything else I've read by Nora Roberts. Would I recommend them to everyone? Probably not everyone, but maybe to someone that likes off the wall kind of stories and doesn't mind a little swearing and romance mixed in. All in all, I would give it a 3 of 5 rating. Not great, but not bad, either.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sweet! I've never read any Nora Roberts before. I'm generally not a supernatural fan, but these don't sound too bad. =] Thanks for the review!

Misty Moncur said...

Nora Roberts AND supernatural? Uh...let me see if I'm intested. No. I don't usually mind listening to her stuff (haven't listened to too many) but they are never fantastic. Have you tried the Ireland triology? I can't remember what they're called, that's how memorable they were, I guess. They're on the Overdrive and the whole thing is read in an Irish brogue, so that makes it tolerable right there.