Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Relax, I'm a Ninja by Natalie Whipple

Image result for relax, I'm a ninjaA Clan of ninjas in San Francisco may sound improbable-but as the son of a ninja Master, Tosh Ito knows what lurks in the shadows of his city. Or at least he thought he did. When a killer with a poisoned blade starts cutting down teens, Tosh enlists Amy Sato-newest ninja recruit, and his best friend's crush-and sets out to uncover the killer's identity. What they find is ninjutsu more evil than they could have ever imagined. As Amy and Tosh grow closer, they discover their connection unleashes a legendary power that could stop the murders. Problem is, that power may be exactly what the killer is looking for, and wielding it could cost them their souls.

I have to admit, the title of this one totally got me. It was like, you had me at ninja. Because c'mon. That said, I probably had some kind of expectation going into this book, but I still have no idea what it was. I will just say I loved the experience of reading this one and was grinning a lot because of the cuteness. I read this during my breaks at work and whenever I could steal some time at home, so it definitely kept me coming back.

I liked Tosh. I liked Amy. I liked them together. Those are basically the only qualities a book has to have for me to like it. Well, that's not true, but you get the idea.

Character critiques. Tosh seemed to be written by a girl for girls, if that makes sense. I won't say his character was girly, but half the time I was smiling into my kindle, I knew it was because this book was written from a female perspective. Tosh constantly telling me all his feelings made Amy feel a little less like the girl. I totally don't mean that how it sounds, I'm just not sure how to describe it. Like maybe I was getting the story through Amy's eyes, and their names were just reversed... It took me out of the book sometimes, but it worked for me--I was amused and entertained--so all good. I wasn't crazy about Tosh's parents, but I don't think I was supposed to be. I think I was supposed to feel like Tosh and Amy were alone in this ninja thing together. Their friends were great, and I liked how Amy and Tosh dealt with the unrequited love issue, just like teens do--not ignoring it, feeling bad about it, but not really knowing how to handle it, and definitely not going to step back because of it. Very realistic and a part of the story that really added depth to the other characters for me.

Plot. It was good.

All in all, it was a fun, enjoyable read.

No comments: