Monday, November 11, 2013

The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

16094953

 
 
Jolene Perry's THE SUMMER I FOUND YOU, about a teenage girl trying to cope with her new diagnosis of type one diabetes and a teenage male veteran who is learning how to embrace his new life after losing an arm, who come together by using each other as an escape, only to discover through love and struggle that your life is what you make of it.


Misty's Reviews:

I haven't been finishing a lot of books lately, but I love Jolene's books, so I let myself get lost for a few afternoons in this one.

Kate thought she knew what (who) she wanted, but apparently he doesn't want her anymore. Kate's longtime boyfriend has just broken up with her, and she is still dealing (not very well) with a new diagnosis of Diabetes. She feels out of control of her own life, and it sucks.

She meets Aiden, a guy who is going through the same thing. Wounded in Afghanistan, his life is no longer going in the direction he planned. When he meets Kate, it's just another complication in his screwed up life.

Somehow they each work it out and get back in control of their own business. I would have liked to see Kate and Aiden help each other more through their respective problems, as it seemed like they each worked out their own stuff by themselves. But there's a lot to be said for dealing with your own crap yourself and not depending on someone else to help you be happy. All in all, just a great coming of age book I loved reading.

Content: Non LDS standards (the characters have sex, but it is not described)

No comments: