Monday, December 3, 2012

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

My review:
Ruby Red is so similar to Clockwise by Elle Strauss, that it is impossible to do a review without at least a small note of comparsion. I know the Clockwise books have been reviewed here by Christina, possibly by others, too. I read Clockwise and really liked it, and I anticipated that the writing and plot development would be tighter in the next novel, which admittedly, I have not read. With that said, Ruby Red was Clockwise times 10. I won't say it was way better, but it was better. The writing was tighter and the plot was more complex with the addition of the Guardian society and the way the past affects the future and vice versa. I felt the characters were, if not more developed, at least more interesting than in Clockwise. But Ruby Red was a little short on actual events and action, where Clockwise had plenty of action and interaction with historical events and people. So, it's like a tie. Not that anyone is keeping score.
Personally, I liked Ruby Red a little better and I will definitely read the rest of the books in the series, even if I have to drag out the old German/English dictionary to read them.

No comments: