Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, Book 2) by Jessica Day George

Synopsis (from GoodReads.com):

With the Dragon Wars over, Creel finds herself bored with life as a seamstress. Then word comes that a bordering country has been breeding dragons in preparation for an invasion. Never one to sit around, Creel throws herself headlong into an adventure that will reunite her with her dragon friend Shardas, pit her against a vicious new enemy and perhaps rekindle a friendship with Prince Luka that seems to have gone cold. Funny, heart-felt, and action packed, this is a sequel that will satisfy on every level.

Jillian’s Review:

This second installment of the Dragon Slippers series was just as fun, exciting, and interesting as the first. I've mentioned before how much I LOVE George's writing style and she doesn't stray from it in this one. The characters are realistic and likeable (or hate-able) and most importantly, I finished with a smile on my face and an uplifted heart. I really like that Creel (can’t stand her name) is strong and brave but doesn’t really see herself that way. It’s refreshing to no have the main character’s personality be overpoweringly stubborn. That seems to be the trend in the YA novels I’ve recently read.

The only problems I had with this one were that we’re told that Creel and Luka spend tons of time together, but we don't really get to see any of it. I would have liked to see a bit more romance but I understand that this is a juvenile book so it shouldn't have too much. George does a great job of showing the reader what everyone is wearing (which makes sense since Creel is a seamstress), yet I can't for the life of me remember what Luka looks like. Still, these are minor issues for me because the rest of the content of the book was marvelous.

I can’t wait to read the next one!

2 comments:

Misty Moncur said...

Looks fun! I know it has to be good to get 5 stars from you.

Jillian said...

I am a bit picky, I know. And You noticed how many stars I gave your book, didn't you? :)