Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Cry In The Night....

A Novel By Mary Higgins Clark, Queen of Suspense

Publisher's Note: For a divorced mother of two, it was a fairy-tale romance...
When lovely Jenny MacPartland met the man of her dreams while working in a New York art gallery, she could hardly believe her luck. Artist Erich Krueger was handsome, sensitive, a painter whose exquisite landscapes were making him a virtual overnight success...and a man utterly in love with her!

That twisted into a woman's most horrifying Nightmare.

Married within a month, suddenly wealthy, deeply adored, Jenny planned a warm, caring home on Erich's vast Minnesota farm. But the lonely days and eerie nights strained her nerves to the breaking point, making her doubt her own sanity. Caught in a whirlpool of shattering events, Jenny was about to unearth a past more terrifying than she dared imagine...tragic, terrible secrets that threatened her marriage, her children, her very life.

"A stunning achievement...A Cry In The Night could become a suspense classic..." Associated Press

Mandi's Review:  Married to a wealthy farmer and artist, Jenny MacPartland and her children feel as if they've suddenly stepped into a fairy tale. But when strange happenings fill the night, Jenny is left wondering if she has simply gone mad or if the ghosts of Erich's past has come back to haunt them. Just in time for Halloween, Mary Higgins Clark's A Cry In The Night is a definite thriller that will leave you gripping the edge of your seat and nibbling your fingernails. I have always enjoyed her books, but this one quickly moved to the top of the list. I don't care to read books laden with gore, language or graphic scenes, and I thought this book was tastefully written, filled with suspense, and a definite clean read. The plot moved at a rapid pace and included enough twists and turns to keep even the most savvy reader guessing until the very end. I thought the characters, including the minor characters, were very well-rounded and fleshed out, and as a mother with young children the story sent shivers up my spine. I give A Cry In The Night 4 out of 5 stars!!

3 comments:

KCarey said...

I think I've read this one. One of her creepiest books... Only read it once.

SixMixedReviews said...

I love your stars!

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

I've always been fascinated my MHC's ability to get me so deep in her books that the house could burn down around me and until the pages caught fire, I doubt I'd notice.