Sunday, September 8, 2013

250 Movies for LDS Families

Finding wholesome, uplifting movies can be a daunting task--especially when Hollywood's values are so far from the Church's. 250 Great Movies for Latter-day Families offers a broad selection of edifying options for your family's next movie night. With content reviews, gospel discussion guides, and indexes by genre and gospel topics, this guide is sure to have something for everyone.

Misty's Review:

You know, I haven't been taking on a lot of reviews lately. Kind of been busy with other things. But when Jonathan Decker contacted me, I thought, yeah, I'd like to have a look at that book.

Because as a mom, I want to know what my kids are watching, reading, and coming into contact with--not so I can shield them from everything, but so I can talk to them about what they see in the world and hopefully answer questions they have and put things into perspective. Often I find myself explaining, "This is what the world believes. This is what our family and church believe, and you can decide for yourself."

The simple layout of this book works really well for aiding in this type of discussion. Decker gives a brief introduction to each film and follows that with a content overview, listing instances of violence, swearing, immodesty, references to immorality, etc. He follows it with a short list of lessons we can learn from the film, the morals to the stories. Here he uses scriptures and quotes from the general authorities, which are all great and relevant.

I really love Decker's voice in this book. It comes through. I think a book of this type has the potential to be preachy and even a little self-righteous, but it isn't that way at all. I enjoyed just reading through it, even though I wasn't searching for a particular movie and even though I don't have a huge interest in movies in general. But Jonathan does, and you can tell. His passion about this art form is what really makes this book shine.

A great reference. Succinct but wonderfully informative. Use it to make informed decisions about what kinds of movies you allow into your home.

No comments: